• Original Concept: Philippa Wood & Tamar
• Design & Production: Philippa Wood & Tamar
• Format: Concertina with folded insert sheets
• Size: 100 x 150mm
• Publisher: The Caseroom Press
• Publication Date: Spring 2017
• Price £30.00
• Limited edition of 12 – Sold Out
Sewing secrets is a limited edition artists’ book that explores personal
Sewing is part of our heritage and throughout history there has been an expectation that every girl should be taught the necessary sewing skills to enable her to run a successful home. These skills would either be passed down from mother or grandmother, or taught at school as part of home economics or needlecraft classes.
This publication offers memories of sewing traditions, guilty pleasures and the odd act of rebellion, all of which highlight our relationship with needle and thread.
The book is formed of 12 dress pattern envelopes that are zig-zagged stitched together; within each ‘envelope’ is an individually typed story illustrated using collage and letterpress.
Held in permanent collections:
Arts University Bournemouth, Oxford Brookes University